This Census information was compiled by Joan & Lindel and forms part of the Donegal Genealogy Resources Website
You may link to this page but not copy it
If you have any connection to any of the families and would like to have your email address linked to them, please feel free to Contact Me
Early Census Data
1841 - 70 people and 10 houses
1851 - 45 people and 7 houses
1861 - 50 people (28 males & 22 females) and 7 houses
|Daniel McCormick and Ann Gallagher Household|
1. Daniel McCormick father or brother of Hugh? - see below
2. John, Charles, Ellen and Ann children of Daniel McCormick and Ann Gallagher
3. Mary McGinley dau of Ann McCormack and Cornelius McGinley.
4. Ann married Cornelius McGinley of Ballynascall, son of Patrick McGinley and Catherine McGeehan, at Saint Columba's, Termon and Gartan, on 21 Aug 1885. Witnesses Torgilius? Boyle,
Stramore and Ellen McCormick, Drumnasharragh.
5. Ann widowed by 1901 - see Cornagullion census
6. For family of Cornelius - See Ballynascal census
|Hugh McCormack and Cecilia Ward Household|
|McCormack||Daniel||son||RC||Can't read||19||farmer's son||Single||Donegal||IE|
Marriage banns dated 18 Aug 1876, Conwal and Leck
Hugh McCormack son or brother of Daniel? - see above
Children of Hugh and Cecilia :
Mary b 18 Aug 1877
Daniel b 21 Feb 1879
Bridget b 14 May 1880
Anne b 29 Dec 1881
|Charles Gallagher and Bridget McGinley Household|
Bridget, 65, wife of farmer, d of general debility, in Magheran, Conwal, 3 Nov 1904. Informant dau Mary O'Donnell, Magheran
Charles, 63, widower, d of Hemiplegia (paralysis one side of body) after 10 days, in Magheran, Conwal, 7 Feb 1907. Informant dau Mary O'Donnell, Magheran
Children of Charles and Bridget :
Patrick emigrated to the US - m Anne L Hawes, 10 Aug 1897, Manhattan, NY
Mary b abt 1865 married James O'Donnell, Magheran, son of Nathaniel and Catherine O'Donnell, 14 May 1888 at St Columba Termon and Gartan. Witnesses Patrick McCormick,
Inniskil and Ellen Bradley, Cornagullion. Winifred, above, is their daughter. For Mary and family - see Magheran census
James b 10 Jul 1867
Charles b 12 May 1868 - emigrated to the US. Charles m Mary Irwin, 24 Apr 1893, Manhattan, NY Charles Gallagher, 38, married, saloon keeper, US citizen, Columbia, Arrive NY Sep 12, 1904.
Returning to 122 Curzon St, Hazleton, PA
Michael b 7 Jan 1870 - see certificate
Anne b 24 May 1871 married Bernard Gallagher, Cabra Brook, son of Bernard, 4 Feb 1892 - see 1901 census Cabra Brook
Edward b 26 May 1872, Ardachrin, emigrated to NY from Derry Oct 12, 1903 on the Columbia - Edward Gallagher, 29, Single, barman, never in US, going to brother Patrick, 310 W 27th St, NY
Edward m Mary McHugh, 30 Apr 1908, Manhattan, NY
Bridget b 25 Sep 1873 married John Carr, 36, son of Hugh Carr & Ellen O'Hara, 1 Aug 1893 at Glendowan - see certificate
Hannah b 26 Apr 1876
Ellen b 24 Aug 1877
Joseph b 20 May 1880
Researcher: Brendan - Email
Researcher: Jo-Ann - Email
Bridget (McGinley) Gallagher
|McDaid||Anne||mother||RC||Can't read||72||married||married 40 yrs||11 ch born/10 living||Donegal||IE|
|Anthony Gallagher and Anne Gallagher Household|
1. Property consists of 61 acres, 1 rood and 37 perches of land, as well as a house and outbuildings.
2. Held by Owen Gallagher in 1855. Owen Gallagher, Gartan, married Anne McGlinn, Letterbrick, Kilteevoge, 10 Jan 1858 in Kilteevoge. See marriage cert Owen Gallagher died
2? Nov 1864 of a stroke - his wife was still living. He was 80 years old at the time of his death. See death cert
3. Held by Anthony Gallagher in 1865. Anthony Gallagher was married to Anne Gallagher and there are 7 civil registrations of births for children born to them:
Bridget b 3 Apr 1865
4. Held by Dominick Gallagher in 1880. Dominick was single and appears in the household of Daniel Gallagher and Catherine Sweeney, immediately below.
5. Daniel Gallagher, married to Catherine Sweeney, is a brother of Dominick.
6. Father of Daniel and Dominick is probably Edward Gallagher Snr.
7. Edward Gallagher Snr father of Edward Gallagher Jnr - see below
8. Owen, Anthony and Edward Snr possibly brothers?
9. If you know any different, I'd love to hear from you!! Lindel - Email
|Daniel Gallagher and Catherine Sweeney household|
|Gallagher||Michael||son||RC||Can't read||6||not||Single||Donegal||Only Irish|
|Gallagher||Mary||daughter||RC||Can't read||4||not||Single||Donegal||Only Irish|
|Gallagher||John||son||RC||Can't read||1||not||Single||Donegal||Only Irish|
|Gallagher||Michael||son||RC||Can't read||16||farm labr||Single||Donegal||IE|
1. Marriage - Daniel Gallagher, Gartan, son of Daniel?, married Catherine Sweeney, Meenderry, dau of Hugh, 21 Feb 1887 at Crossroads. Witnesses Neil Sweeney and Nora Sweeney
2.Daniel, Dominick and Edward jnr Gallagher, sons of Edward Gallagher Snr?
3. There was an Edward Gallagher Jnr in the Valuations and he had a son Edward. This son Edward would be a nephew of Daniel and Dominick - his father would be a brother of theirs - see below
4. Children of Daniel Gallagher and Catherine Sweeney (in birth order) -
- Edward b Jan 15 1888, Baptism Sponsors Edward Sweeney & Sarah McCay. Married Mary (Gallagher) Sweeney (widow of Michael Sweeney, Stramore), dau of John and Anne Gallagher,
Carrickatimpan, 3 Nov 1917, Glenswilly. Note of 3 and 4 degree consanguinity between them. Witnesses Daniel Gallagher and Mary A Mullen - see Stramore census
- Hugh born 8 Apr 1889. Bap Glendowan. God-parents Dominick Gallagher and Mary Ferry
- Dominic b May 20 1890, Baptism Sponsors Edward & Mary Gallagher (could this couple be the parents of Edward - see below?)
- Patrick b Jan 24 1892, Baptism Sponsors
James & Ann McCay
5. Alice Gallagher, widow, d 26 Apr 1891 aged 87 years. Informant, son, Daniel Gallagher
6. Daniel Gallagher, 60, d 10 Oct 1899. Informant, wife, Catherine Gallagher
Dan and Catherine's house & barn
|Edward Gallagher and Catherine Gallagher Household|
Edward Gallagher, Ardachrin, 26, son of Edward, married Catherine Gallagher, 30, Stramore, dau of James, 2 Mar 1886. Witnesses John Gallagher and Mary Gallagher
Edward son of Edward and Mary Gallagher?
- Edward Gallagher, 76, widower, Drumnasharragh, d 18 Jan 1893. Informant, son, Edward Gallagher
Edward, nephew of Daniel Gallagher? - see above
Catherine dau of James Gallagher and Anne Kearns/McCarron? - see Stramore census
Annie McCay, dau of Patrick McCay and Anne Gallagher, Condavaddog - see Clondavaddog census
- Anne Gallagher sister of Edward or Catherine?
|Edward McKelvey and Mary McMonagle Household|
|McKelvey||Mary||wife||RC||RW||42||married||married 9 yrs||3 ch born/living||Donegal||IE|
|Gallagher||Mary||niece||RC||RW||22||knitter of socks||Single||Donegal||IE|
|Gallagher||Grace||servant||RC||RW||30||general dom svt||Single||Donegal||IE|
1. Bridget O'Donnell, visitor, is a dau of John O'Donnell and Mary Gallagher, Carrickatimpan - see Carrickatimpan census
2. Bridget's father John O'Donnell, was a son of Dan O'Donnell and Margery Gallagher of Carrickatimpan
3. Dan O'Donnell was the landholder for this plot until 1893 - could he be Edward and Annie's father or other close relative? Uncle?
4. Connected through baptisms/marriages and land holdings - Edward b abt 1853 & Annie abt 1866 (Drumnasharragh), Mary (Ardachrin - not sister of Dan for sure) abt 1845 - Bernard (Carrickatimpan)
b abt 1836 Michael b ? and Dan (Carrickatimpan) b 1839 - all siblings/cousins possibly?
5. Edward and Anne appear to be the godparents of Dan's dau Hanora, b 1883 - must be a close family tie
6. Mary Gallagher, niece, appears to be dau of Charles Gallagher and Mary O'Donnell, Ardachrin - see Ardachrin census
7. If they are the parents of the niece, then the mother, Mary O'Donnell, is Edward and Annie's sister
8. Grace Gallagher, servant, is dau of Charles Gallagher and Mary O'Donnell, Ardachrin - see Ardachrin census
9. O'Donnell births in Drumnasharragh - parents James O'Donnell and Grace McFadden -
- John b
12 Oct 1873
10. See Drumnasharragh Valuation cross-reference for progression of the landholders - either there were two Daniel O'Donnells or just the one, which appears to be the case.
11. Edward died a few months after the 1911 census, on 17 Aug 1911. His effects totaled 28 pounds and probate was granted to John McConnell, farmer
12. If you can help sort this family out, I'd love to hear from you!! Lindel - Email
1901, there were six inhabited houses and one uninhabited house, with the landholder of that one being James Boyle
1911, there were five inhabited houses and three uninhabited houses, with the landholders of those three being Dominick Gallagher, Cicelia McCormick and Charles Gallagher
BACK to Gartan
© Donegal Genealogy Resources